Friday, January 3, 2014

When the Going gets Tough, the Tough get Going….

A few days ago, I had a reunion with a few school friends. We met over drinks one pleasant evening. After an hour or so, I wanted to visit the restroom and stood up, a friend asked me where I was going. I replied - "When the going gets tough, the tough get going and I'm going" …. "to the rest room", I added in a lower tone and we all burst out laughing.

When I returned to the table, I reiterated the saying - "When going gets tough, the tough get going", and asked for votes on who believed in which interpretation, i.e.,  

Interpretation 1: Whoever said it, probably meant that the people who are resilient and persistent keep on their tasks even when the  circumstances are not very easy and encouraging.

Interpretation 2: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going, I'm going!".

Surprisingly, the group was divided and 80% voted for the latter…. My vote went to the former definition and I was expecting majority to vote the same way.

When I asked the 80% to explain their choice, they said - "when you have tried enough and know you cannot win in the current circumstances, you need to move on…". 

What they were trying to tell me was that there is no point to die fighting, that we have limited capabilities and that survival is more important than martyrdom. They also said, move on while you are ahead…

What do you believe in?


No comments:

Post a Comment